Asbestos surveys – an essential guide
Our asbestos surveying team provides a service for dutyholders to ensure the safety of their staff and inhabitants as currently reports indicate that over twenty tradesmen a week die from asbestos related illnesses. Any building or workplace that was refurbished before the year 2000 may have had asbestos used within it.
Based on this information there are several essential key issues for a qualified asbestos survey company to identify when coming into a premises or workplace.
- When dealing with asbestos the exact location needs to be identified.
- The condition of the asbestos needs to be checked through a testing assessment.
- A calculation of the total amount present needs to be identified and recorded.
- A laboratory analysis test needs to be done to find the exact type of asbestos present within.
- Toilet cisterns, Fuse boxes, wall panelling, floor tiles, heater cupboards and house insulation are all places where asbestos can be prevalent but there are many more that need to identified and reviewed during a comprehensive asbestos survey.
Why we need asbestos surveys and the dangers of asbestos exposure:
The dangers of not having an efficient asbestos surveys company can lead to the following:
- Asbestos related lung cancer which is similar to the lung cancer a smoker can receive.
- Asbestosis is a scarring of the lung due to heavy asbestos exposure. Shortness of breath is common and in a worse case scenario proves fatal.
- Mesothelioma a cancer prevailing in the lung lining and bottom of the digestion tract, due to asbestos exposure which nearly always fatal.
- Pleural Thickening asbestos exposure thickens the pleura (lining of the lung) causing discomfort and shortness of breath.
Many insurance companies are refusing to cover duty holders unless they have an up to date asbestos management plan. Alongside this due to the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012, operatives who come into contact or deal with asbestos must have proficient asbestos training not only to identify the risks but to completely cover the whole spectrum of protection awareness.
UK consultants for asbestos surveys
Your safety is our priority.
If you own or manage a premise where people work, the law requires an assessment of asbestos risks. With our long-standing experience across a range of sectors we will provide you with the most comprehensive and user-friendly surveys available. DMW are a UKAS accredited inspection body for asbestos surveys as in accordance with Health & Safety Executive guidance. Whether you require asbestos registers to demonstrate legal compliance or to identify asbestos prior to refurbishment or maintenance, we can help.
Asbestos exposure can lead to asbestos illnesses such as Mesothelioma that have serious have implications.
Controllers of premises and building managers have explicity duties to identify, assess and manage asbestos materials in their building. This is due to the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012.
By using professional asbestos surveying consultants such as ourselves, we are able to able to assess any risk and help calculate asbestos removal costs that should work be required by a contractor. DMW – one of the largest asbestos surveying and Health & Safety companies in the UK.
One of the largest asbestos surveying and Health & Safety companies in the UK.
All of our Asbestos surveyors are highly experienced and qualified to both the basis P402 and more advanced S301 award, eventually gaining CCP (Certified Competent Person in asbestos) status.
One of the most important aspects for assuring quality of surveying work and satisfying the clients civil and statutory duty of care is ensuring that the selected asbestos surveying company have an effective quality management system.